Immigration Attorney in Fort Myers & Surrounding Areas
Back to Top
Consular Processing U.S. Citizenship Application Document Reviews

Consular Processing Attorney in Fort Myers

Apply for a Green Card Abroad

Depending on the circumstances, some individuals hoping to apply for a green card must do so through a process calling consular processing. Consular processing is the procedure of applying for a green card through a consulate in a foreign country.

U.S. immigration law is complex, so it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced and trusted Fort Myers immigration lawyer before making any immigration-related decisions. Hurtado Immigration Law Firm is here to walk you through every step and advise you of the option that may be best suited for your situation.

Contact us online or call us at (239) 800-0580 to get started.

Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing

After you have an approved family petition and there is a visa number available, the next step is determining whether the beneficiary of the approved petition can adjust status in the United States, or if the beneficiary will have to process the immigrant visa through the U.S. consulate outside of the United States.

Some Beneficiaries Must Consular Process

Intending immigrants who are already overseas are expected to consular process. Some beneficiaries have attempted to enter the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program, or using a tourist visa, thinking that they will then be able to adjust status. However, VWP entrants are (with only a few exceptions) prohibited from applying to adjust status. Using a tourist visa with the intent of entering the U.S. in order to apply for a green card is considered visa fraud and may make you ineligible for the green card or for any other visa or U.S. entry.

Beneficiaries who are already in the U.S. but do not have a valid admission in the U.S. will likely be required to exit the country and complete their visa process through a U.S. consular post (exception exists for those who submitted their approvable petition before April 30, 2001 and fall under INA 245(i)). Upon exiting, these intending immigrants may trigger a bar from returning to the U.S. (up to 10 years). This would require a waiver to be filed. There are waivers available and depending on the specifics of each case, they may be filed stateside or must be filed from outside the United States.

Talk to Our Fort Myers Immigration Lawyer

You do not want to leave the U.S. without fully consulting with an experienced attorney to inform you of all the risks and possibilities that can happen at the U.S. consular post. Hurtado Immigration Law Firm can advise you as to whether you can adjust status or must process through a U.S. consulate.

Call us at (239) 800-0580 to get started on your case with a consultation.

We Rise by Lifting Others

Client Testimonials
  • What an amazing experience from beginning to end.

    “What an amazing experience from beginning to end. This firm has handled our K1 Visa process like no other and made everything easy with lots of love, care and attention to detail. Highly recommend!!!!”

    - Irma R.
  • They really cared and fought for me. Charges were dropped and now I am ready to pursue immigration benefits.

    “I am so thankful for the team at the Firm. The performed very professionally and with excellence. Not only were all the charges dropped, but I feel vindicated due to the fact that Mr. Hurtado and Ms. ...”

    - Sergio
  • Capacidad profesional, integridad, honestidad y servicio

    “Capacidad profesional, integridad, honestidad y servicio, estos cuatro aspectos mencionados anteriormente son cualidades que distinguen al Abogado Pablo Hurtado en su servicio profesional. Estoy muy ...”

    - Willy
  • Desde un principio él fue claro, él entendió mi situación

    “Mi caso fue largo pero desde un principio el abogado Hurtado fue claro en todo lo que se refiere a los requerimientos, a los tiempos, a la honestidad, a la claridad del caso y por supuesto en la ...”

    - Previous Client
  • He made my dream come true!

    “I can write all my experience with Mr. Hurtado, but I'm not gonna make you lose your time. All you have to know is that I'm finally at the U.S. thanks to him. He made my dream come true”

    - Daniel