Skip to Content

Advice from an Immigration Attorney if Your Case is Getting Nowhere


Immigration legal cases can take an extended period of time and make you feel like you’re never going to reach the end. If your case is still in the regular processing time, there’s not much you can do other than wait. But if your case has passed the normal processing time, you may have some options. You can check the normal processing time on your immigration case at U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. If your case is taking longer than expected, here are a few options an immigration attorney may recommend.

1. Check Your Status Online

The first thing an immigration attorney would recommend is checking on your immigration case status by entering your receipt number into the USCIS online case status system. This will provide you with the information you need to be sure your case has been received and see what your current status is. If you’re unsure what any of the information means, ask your immigration attorney to explain. However, if you are looking for more than this or already know this information, then you may want to take the next step.

2. Call USCIS Customer Service

The second thing you can do is call the USCIS customer service line at 1-800-375-5283. The representative you speak with is only allowed to give you certain authorized information on your immigration case, but it’s a good place to start. Have your receipt number ready to provide so they can look up your case. Your immigration attorney can advise you on the right questions to ask and what to do with the information provided. If you are having trouble, ask to speak to a supervisor. Even if this doesn’t get you what you wanted, it could create movement in your case.

3. Make an Info Pass Appointment

If these steps haven’t gotten you where you want, check to see if you are eligible to make an info pass appointment to speak directly with a USCIS adjudicator about your immigration case. There is a certain policy on who can make these appointments and it is consistently changing. An immigration attorney can help you determine if you are eligible and assist you with the process.

4. Send Questions by Mail

If you cannot make an in-person appointment due to immigration restrictions or rules, another possibility is to mail your questions to the location that has the jurisdiction of your case. Go over what questions you have with your immigration attorney to word these questions in the best way possible. Some places may have an online option, but a traditional letter is expected for most. This should get you the answers you are looking for and possibly generate some action on your case as well.

We understand that the immigration legal process can be long and stressful. That is why we will try to help you any way we can along the entire journey. These suggestions are easy ways that you can help speed up your outcome. However, your best chance to get the outcome you want and make the process as smooth as possible is to work with an immigration attorney. Contact Hurtado Immigration Law Firm today to get started.

Share To: